What effect does tilt angle have on solar panels?

See what happens to the power output of your solar panels when you change the winter angle of the tilt from straight at the lower winter sun to a lesser angle, all the way back to flat. The volts don’t change all that much, but the current output drops dramatically, greatly reducing the output of your solar power system. Includes tips on how to decide what angle to tip your solar panels to for your DIY solar system.

20 Responses to What effect does tilt angle have on solar panels?

1. ROY SJOBLOM says:

Very good info

2. Al Ford says:

If you are on Time Of Day rates, a summer inclination might be better.

3. Brian 43125 says:

45 seems to work good in Ohio.

4. Greg Scott says:

If you have limited roof area, you will get more total energy over the course of the year by laying them flat on the roof. The setback that you need to avoid shadowing will negate any additional energy you get by tilting the panels.

5. Indonesian FriedRice says:

thank you…. really informative…

6. Evolution. Questiontime says:

Does angle adjustment have any effect during cloudy weather?
    My installation is in southern England where 40 degrees angle is suggested. My top roof with twelve panels is 30 degrees and my lower roof with two panels is 20 degrees showing a very noticeable difference in output between the two. At optimum angle the output should be 3.78kW max but I only get 3.2kW max in practise. Your advice for domestic roof installations is echoed by my supplier, lay parallel to obviate wind damage.
    Great demo and well presented, thank you.

7. David Grove says:

Thanks Amy! Solar Queen!

8. robert retka says:

Panel of angle incidence is an important issue, actually the achilles heel of solar panel power conversion .
    The most available solar energy is just for @ 5 hours per day, hopefully it's not cloudy. It is best to keep the angle of incidence at 90 deg. in both the X and Y planes. But then you are going to need a dedicated programmable controller that can readjust the tracking angles automatically. altE can you tell us the cost of such a system and if it may be problematic to mechanical issues? Yes?

9. steve b says:

If you had say, 10 panels, fixed on a roof, using the best angle setting, how many panels on a heliostat would you need to generate the same yearly power?

10. steve b says:

Winter Equinox??? Really?

11. steve b says:

Where is the chart showing Angle vs Maximum panel production?

12. Roger Fries says:

Video Request: Hi, Thanks for all of the great videos! I have three 300 watt Solar World panels on my RV that I recently purchased from you on my RV. RV use is obviously a off grid configuration, but this RV spends most of it's time parked behind my house. How could I use this to keep my battery's charged, but send the excess power into the house to give me some free watts off my electric bill?
    Thanks

13. Artjoms Pugacovs says:

Thx.
    Now we have to buy solar panels that can receive sun rays in wider angle.

14. Gretha Salvador says:

so that is why.. thanks for this information… very helpful..

15. onecrazywheel says:

+altE Store It is a 2500 watt rated Kaco Blue Planet Inverter. With it being a 2500 watt system it is maxed out with the inverter.

16. onecrazywheel says:

Amy, I've got a 2500 watt system with 11 panels. 6 are at a correct 30 degree angle and 5 panels are at about a 10 degree angle. They are all in series. Would it be worth changing the 5 solar panels to match the other 6? We live in Central Florida.

Thanks!

17. Aleneski Kalashnikova says:

Very informative. I learned some.

18. Solar Service Guy says:

Great video, and the big problem is the brackets in the market that you need to adjust your panels is crazy money, so you do what you can do until someone comes up with one that is affordable. I also will add your solar power video to http://SolarServiceGuy.com thanks.

19. bill767667 says:

great video Amy thanks I think I'll look into one that tracks,and tilts,will try to make one my self.

20. yankey4 says:

Solar tracking was worth it when pv was 10+ bucks a watt. Not tho with pv 1 or so bucks a watt it's not worth all the trouble.