Solar Panel Systems for Beginners – Pt 1 Basics Of How It Works & How To Set Up

Look no further for the best beginner’s guide to solar panel systems.

In this video, I will show you in layman’s terms how a solar panel system works and how to set one up in 2 different types of systems. This video is intended for beginners so obviously there is a lot more involved than I am explaining but this covers the basics to get started.

**To purchase the components used in this video, click here: https://kit.com/LDSreliance/beginner-solar**

If you found this video helpful and want to give back, donate here:

20 Responses to Solar Panel Systems for Beginners – Pt 1 Basics Of How It Works & How To Set Up

1. Stas Ka says:

Hi, can I ask you question?
    Can I connect my camping refrigerator (12v) instead computer cooler directly without 12v inverter?

2. Ron Fletcher says:

I know nothing about solar systems. Trying to learn. I use a deep cycle battery for my trolling moto on a 10' Jon boat so I thought I would get panels to use same battery for back up power at the house !
    My new battery says below an 80% charge the amp rate to charge should be 7-15 amps !
    I don't see anywhere on the net a solar system charging 1 100AH battery at more than 2 amps. So, how do I do this ?

3. guillegt says:

Nice video! thanks.

Is it possible to make an off grid to battery… then have an inverter to the battery and then use that?

The one you showed from my understanding when it comes to inverter is that you must use it as the solar panel is being hit by the sun so cant be stored…

4. nathaniel steamgear says:

How to keep your battery healthy please

5. SPIE210ify says:

Does your solar panel in this demonstration have a diode in it and if so which kind

6. Andrew Zieger says:

so quick question. Im trying to run a small irrigation system with solar would a 50 watt pannel, two 12v batteries and a 20A 12v-24v charge controller power run a 24v pump?

7. ryanharris0 says:

I like oranges

8. ryanharris0 says:

I'm a balloon

9. Bill Jenkins says:

The correct hookup for more 12v batteries in this video would be PARALLEL, not in SERIES.

10. SPIE210ify says:

Hey boss I have a cmp12 solar charge controller do you know if it would still work if I removed the 5 leds

11. Terryblount says:

When you draw from the controller, like you did for the fan…. the controllers give you the option to program the low voltage cutoff. Battery manufactures say a battery will last over a year longer (500 extra charge cycles) if you don't drain the battery over 50% (that's anything under 12.06 volts.)
    Also, a 12v battery can recover from 50% discharge to 12.8 volts (full charge) with 7 hours direct sunlight on a 100 watt panel.

12. Terryblount says:

I thought the power "source" was the sun.

13. Toshio Eure says:

Thanks!!! nice explanation

14. Мr. T says:

Nice video! I have a question about a smaller system. I have a 5volt input board going to a 5v relay going to a 5v to 12v booster. How would I connect the lithium batteries in the charger system? Connect (4) 1.5v batteries in series? Will a 6volt solar panel charge this ?  Thank you for your help

15. Segbedzi John says:

This tutorial is very educative. How much does it cost?

16. Adhika Widjaya says:

Thanks for the video.
    What happen if the battery is fully charged? can the solar charge controller stop the current coming in to the battery?
    How to calculate the battery size we need for a particular solar panel?

17. Meghan Moris says:

Interesting and simple to understand

18. Nathaji Ec says:

explain with tamil in tamilnadu

19. javier delicado rodriguez says:

hi, still havent received my solar panal, question: can i use a 12v transformer in the meantime to my charge controler? conecting it to the solar panal input, thanks

20. Bani Sankar says:

In off grid If I use 12 v 300 watt panel what type of mppt charge controller should I use and how much Ah battery