Off Grid Solar Power Generator For Backup And Everyday Use

I designed my system primarily as a backup system in case the grid goes down long term. I just happen to run it every day, weather permitting, to help lower my electric bill. When I originally started searching for “solar generator” I would mostly see portable type units. I wanted something like the compact portable units but wanted more power so it could also run my critical loads everyday, yet be fully charged by the time the sun goes down. I call it a generator for a couple reasons. It does not power the entire house, everything is compact and in the house, and it’s a little like a hybrid between the typical solar generator and the typical off grid system used everyday. I keep it 100% charged everyday by the time the sun goes down by manually regulating the loads when there is bad weather out. I act like a human transfer switch by managing it, or I shut it down to keep it at 100% for backup. If it is sunny out, I do nothing…it runs everything I want without having to be a human transfer switch. The batteries in many whole house larger off grid systems are either kept full by being tied to the grid or by the use of a fuel generator. One of the reasons I do not use a transfer switch is because I want solar AND utility power available in each room… For example, the fridge stays on solar but sometime I want to run the microwave on utility. With a switch, the entire outlet would have to be one or the other.

Components:
4 Fullriver 6V batteries
Cotek 12 volt 2000 watt inverter
Whizbang Jr.
Midnite Classic 150 controller
6 275 watt Solar World panels
Midnite battery enclosure
Midnite battery disconnect box
Midnite combiner box
lightning suppressor
Homeline Load Panel

I am not an electrician and just make suggestions based on personal experiences. If you are not an electrician, I suggest speaking to one regarding anything to do with electricity and your system.

20 Responses to Off Grid Solar Power Generator For Backup And Everyday Use

1. Omar Addahir says:

how much this system cost you and how many KW it is?

2. Tim Allen says:

This is great! I noticed that most of your solar electric wall outlets were being used more than the utility outlets, GREAT JOB! Two things I saw that would help out! But you'd have to build a new house!  Put everything in the wall! LOL!  Just for future thought for anyone getting ready to build a new home! Have you thought about a pure sin wave inverter? If I missed it you may have one already !

3. mark rossi says:

How much does it save on your power bill?

4. Ron Powell says:

Excellent video. My system is very similar and I would recommend this concept to everyone. We had a grid failure for almost a week during the heat of the summer and the investment was a life saver. Running an air conditioner 24/7 put a lot of strain on my batteries so I ran an small 800 watt Generic inverter generator in economy mode powering a 40 amp converter/charger in the evenings until it ran out of gas (about 5 hours on 1 gallon) and that worked out great.

5. Peter James says:

It is totally awesome but you should buy a labelmaker and identify your outlets so other people can benefit. Should increase your houses value if you should sell it also

6. Doug Harker says:

UNCLEDOUG HERE I LIKE !! NICE JOB DAD !!! LOOKS GOOD !!

7. Autism Cannabis says:

I'll never understand why videos like this never get the millions of views it deserves. Brilliant man here.

8. Jon Heckendorf says:

Sweet. Nice job. Someone below suggested to color code your solar power outlets. I also have a suggestion of using a label maker to indicate public power and solar power. This way you are helping others to not make a mistake with your system. Just saying.

9. Aussie Dual Sport says:

Nice neat set up.

10. Silverado 66 says:

your one of the first system I liked how sweet it is setup

11. Silverado 66 says:

We still waiting on your change to a 24volt system

12. old time engineer says:

I did some close to that but I painted the cover to the outlets green that way this old guy does not have to think to hard. Good job

13. yousifhela says:

your way is more costly vs directly connecting the battery system to a sub-panel next to your main one. But not bad, clean installation.

14. yo voy bacon says:

Great Job

15. Troy Kocher says:

Thanks for taking time to put this together! Very informative, gonna watch it again and take notes 😁

16. Michael Horsford says:

neat idea I like the setup

17. Terry Hawkins says:

Hello where u get the cabinet

18. Paul Michalec says:

hi again did you just try to answer my question about my home theatre my my phone just notified me that you made a comment , now i cant find it lol it was about my hometheatre

19. Free oo69 says:

how many amps are you getting out of ur load panel?

20. john yochum says:

my system is set up along the lines that you do. primary function is back up with the ability to augment my lighting and other loads through the use of differing sized plug and play inverters. they vary in size from 300 w to 5000 watt inverters. comments apreciated, just click on link ( keep it simple solar ) lighting to large power tool applications