See https://diynewman.wordpress.com/2016/07/24/how-to-install-solar-panels-yourself-for-4k-diy-7kw/ for more details. This is how I installed a 7 kilowatt solar panel system on my 3400 square foot house for only K. This is enough to power all my house so my electric bill is zero.

20 Responses to How To Install Solar Panels Yourself For $4K – DIY 7KW – South Jordan, Utah – Cheap

1. Stephen Jones says:

Curious, why did you need to get approval from the power company? They have jurisdiction over who can and can't get solar power?

2. Jon amber homestead says:

nice panels

3. Tony Hamilton says:

Wow, we live in two different worlds. That installation never would've passed inspection in California (So many code violations). I don't know how much I trust those roof attachments, and good luck with your roof not leaking. But, I admire your initiative and ambition. Cheers!

4. Byron Watts says:

If you say you don't need a lightning arrester, you've never seen a lightning strike up close.

5. Youra Ninee says:

Good video, but the flex conduit could have been dressed better..thanks

6. aznboycols says:

Wired together the way you have them…is there any possibility if one panel fails, the others before it will be out of the link?

7. Willie says:

I think another good option would be to use steel 2×4's… screw the track to the roof and insert the 2×4 inside the track and use self tapping screws to lock the two together. Good job putting it all together and thanks for sharing.

8. David Micheletti says:

That looks like a very interesting system.

9. Salarfaji says:

Is it possible to make it off-grid system?

10. 1MNUTZ says:

so is the electricity paying you money back for the electricity you're supplying back into the grid ?

11. Greg Register says:

Wiring diagram – You have 30 panels @ 235 watt each, what is the current & voltage of each panel?
    IF YOUR PANELS ARE ALL IN PARALLEL it is a mater of time before your wires on the two ten panel array will start to degrade and may cause fire on a HIGH SUN DAY. IF 235 w = 24 vdc this is more than 9 amp out per panel or ( 90 amp ) on one set of leads coming from each of your (10) solar panel arrays if your arrays are in series 10 – 10 – ( 5 & 5 ) then this is only about 30 amps but at a HIGH voltage 10 – 24 volt panels in series 240 vdc in round numbers and 9 amp or you may have them in series / parallel 5 series in parallel 6 this would be 24 vdc * 5 = 120 vdc @ 9 amps all arrays in parallel ( 6 ) approx 6480 watt.
    A diagram would help others to understand what you have done!

12. Fokko Veenstra says:

My installation here in Netherlands cost about 6k back in 2011 (3.2 kWp) and I am at about 70% of ROI. Feed in tariff is the same as what I pay per kWh and the energy company currently pays me 2 dollar per month. Use electrical water heaters and air/air heatpump for heating, no more natural gas needed. Love my SMA 3000TL inverter, still going strong. Tap near the display to make it light it up but you probably figured that out by now. In hindsight I should have done the installation myself just like you did, it would have saved me a couple of thousand. Great job and well explained!

13. terry waller says:

Have you checked to see if there are local building codes. I can almost assure you that you needed an electorial inspection.If there should be a power outage and your not hooked up correctly you could injure or kill someone. Same with a rescue person if you should have an emergency and the shut-off they use doesn't kill power.

14. Neored9 says:

You're an American hero.

15. Andrew Baker says:

Huge thanks Matt for putting this inspirational video together. I am beginning to build out a Beach Resort in Borneo 100% off grid, and what you've done is sort of pave the way for my confidence to learn solar and make it happen. Big thanks man! – AB in Sabah Borneo

16. Fadli Awg says:

Sir can this power air conditioner

17. Brian Perendy says:

someone said recently don't run ground wire over distance if you can help it. as close to ground as possible. just a thought.

18. ejames80 says:

Near 3/4 of the cost goes on labour? Amazing.

19. jimthvac100 says:

Sp you have had these panels in for over a year, how have they worked for you so far? what percentage of your bill do they help with? have you decided to add another string of panels? How have they performed in different seasons? Any problem with the equipment at all?

20. jimthvac100 says:

About micro inverters agree they are to expensive. Unless you have the propitiatory software on a PC and compatible inverters you are not going to know which one has failed and one day they will. Fragile electronics don't last. If you have one or two inverters then you can easily replace or upgrade them later on. because they will be inside your house and easy to get to. imagine having to remove two to three solar panels just to get to the one that failed and hope they still sell that same model that is compatible with the software. Also if you use a central grid tie inverter, If the grid fails you could still wiring the panels into a pure sign wave inverter and use them to power your house. if you used micro inverters you would not have that option. I bet micro inverters have a warranty that does not last long. What if they only last 3 or 5 years before they start failing. It would be a big pain to remove all those panels to replace them. I want to use panels like his and have them in pairs to have 72 volts and feed them into 2K watt grid tie inverters that sell for under $500. and have a transfer switch and use them to power batteries if I wanted to.