DIY Repair Cracked Solar Panels

Support me for more videos: https://www.patreon.com/GreatScott
Previous video: https://youtu.be/3dQjIeYoIdM
DIY Power Logger: https://youtu.be/lrugreN2K4w
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/greatscottlab
Twitter: https://twitter.com/GreatScottLab

In this episode of Electronic Basics I will show you how solar panels are wired up, why bypass and blocking diodes are necessary when working with them and how we can get the most power out of them. At the end I will also show you how MPPT and PWM charge controller can use a solar panel to charge up a battery.

Music:
2011 Lookalike by Bartlebeats
Killing Time, Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

You want to support my videos?
You can browse and buy tools&materials from my Amazon Store. This way I get a small commission:
Amazon.de: http://astore.amazon.de/great043-21
Amazon.com:http://astore.amazon.com/gre09a-20
Amazon.co.uk: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/gre0b-21

Or you feel super generous and want to use this Amazon link as your Amazon home page. And do not worry, your purchases are all anonym and the prices are all the same:
Amazon.de:http://www.amazon.de/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1638&creative=19454&linkCode=ur2&site-redirect=de&tag=great043-21&linkId=ORZEQZEOVJAFURCZ
Amazon.com:http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=gre09a-20&linkId=I5NDCEAVCD2OWM4S

40 Responses to DIY Repair Cracked Solar Panels

1. m0nkey34 says:

Minute 1:39, what are you pouring over the panel to clean it?

2. zylascope says:

That's Awesome, thanks.

3. Bashasab Maheboob Shaik Basha Maheboob Shaik says:

I want polycrylic glass spray,,,, how I got it???

4. Jack Specialized says:

This guy should be taken off band from here for his distasteful videosNot nessesary on youtube

5. SolarizeYourLife says:

Looks like some jealous asshole threw rocks at panels….

6. Richard Longmore says:

2 pac Clear coat ( lacquer for car paint ) might work ?

7. biofall38 says:

why not just get a sheet of thin lexan or acrylic and silicon it on to the existing glass

8. Shannan Schisler says:

If you want to make it too just use InpliX handbooks.

9. Shannon Amend says:

You can learn from inplix scripts how to make it yourself.

10. Zach Z says:

The sealant looks like jizz!

11. Lone Kimono says:

try epoxy resins! ? I sure you can find it in a clear form its rock solid once its cured

12. John Smith says:

Are you a rocket scientist?….

13. bcmasur says:

It's always a dream-come-true to pick up a seemingly-unlimited pile of 300W panels for $10 each, who cares if they only last five years instead of the 30 years they're rated for. Just caulk the big holes and hope they still put out at least half the watts they're rated for. <3

14. bcmasur says:

I don't see what's so wrong with leaving the broken panels alone for however many years they survive the rain and corrosion thereof, and stop bothering with trying to seal it up. If you just mount them vertically the rain won't seep in so bad, but of course there is the annoying humidity everywhere. 2% humidity rocks my socks. Of course those huge holes need to be sealed off, go for regular caulk. KISS.

15. bcmasur says:

Most of the loss is because of the spiderwebbing in the safety glass blocking more light from reaching the cells. You'll notice the spiderwebbing does not crack at right-angles of the cells, it wants to be annoying and crack sideways blocking more light. The corrosion occurs where the golf balls hit. 🙂 (or little shitasses threw rocks at the panels)

16. Alter Kater says:

Are you a foreigner? Strange accent you have.

17. Mike Whitenton says:

You didn't show or mention any surface preparation before applying the poly. Sanding with 2000 grit is final prep for headlight restoration. Rustoleum American Accents 2x Ultra Cover Gloss Clear is non-yellowing non-UV reactive. My headlights are fine. No yellowing and look factory.

18. mikeman400 says:

Clear epoxy resin would probably work. Might even be able to use the kind for fiberglass if it were clear. I think If I wanted a permanent solution I would use a new piece of glass on top of it or replace the existing glass.

19. minor0confusion says:

you live like a dirty redneck.. throw that away.. if you REALLY dont wanna waste it, pull it to peices, cut the frame smaller and rework the panel. these are cheap, its bust, you probably spent half what its worth trying to repair it, and it will STILL never produce any more than 200w with that filthy smash in there, maybe you want to secure it to the roof? you know, so it doesnt blow off in freak high wind and hit someones PROPERTY, you know, that thing you seem to abuse of everyones, then wonder why you have to move? cheap tools used wrongly, poorly run wiring (not to mention, its not upto code) as for basic TIDY install/respectfull use of property/not looking like some hobo stealing electricity from a streetlight?!?!?! TIDY UP AND THROW BROKEN USELESS S*&T AWAY

20. Gebby says:

Good video. Thanks!
    I just got some broken panels myself. I laid one down on the ground and poured out some polyurethane on it. Then rolled it out really thick with a paint roller. I poured even more to make it thicker. Done. No sprayer needed. The panel works fine. I saved it from going to the dump.

21. blubb spinat says:

Interesting to see that you also fell for the MPPT scam. The one shown in this video is actually not an MPPT type controller. The MPPT on its case is the name of the company manufacturing these.
    How about making our own?

22. Rob Gandy says:

Thanks for answering my question. I kinda wanted to see a circuit that tries to find the best power point, and the buck boost integrated into it. Basicly, a fancy joule thief in order ot use, not only low Volt/Amps of solar, but any other small power source, (IE, wind farm). Building a buck/boost to handle that kind of power would probably be impractical, but if you could show a joule theif/buck/boost that would send that information to a proper charge controller, that would be cool. Kinda like handing off the heavy load to something that can handle the heavy load.

But, thanks again sir!

23. Ciprian Ciocalau says:

Please make step up dc with tranzistors and mosfet 1.5v to 5v dc 500 ma

24. SuperHDBob says:

Fck explain it simpler, why the hell you have to bring your air mass and stuff. Just connect it ffs

25. Baqca Sanke says:

Those bare solar cells you had actually looked strong compared to the ones i tried using.
    The ones i bought would break just from looking at them too hard

26. SysPowerTools says:

does anyone know why they use AM- instead of bar? The value would be the same.

27. dirsehan tür says:

Which diode should i use for 6v mini panels? I have 2 group series and rest 10 entire parallel so there is ~13 Voc and 1000mah I short. I have also dc dc buck step down to charge my phone as a conclusion there is only one diode that i put on the + output is that wrong?

28. Vishnu Vardhan says:

Some one fooled you because in my country the solar panel of size 5cm length 2cm breadth gives me 2 volts 500mah😂😂😂

29. Tech Victor says:

Scott have you heard about keshe gans battery, nanocoating metals for greater conductivity etc..

30. dimitrie jovanov says:

why not conect tham in paralel

31. Seba Beattie says:

Diy charge controller?

32. woo Zhi says:

wait a second shouldn't you be testing it under the sun

33. informedguy says:

I like your solar tech videos, however I'm interested a diy solar generator box, can make video on this issue. Thanks

34. NamacilHDx says:

hey i though about building somekind of an charge controller wich is basicly an an opamp, pod and a cap wich then make the cap simply decharge at the a set voltage so that the cap alwasys keeps its voltage at the mpp voltage i think if that is working the system will automaticly output the max amps at the voltage.

35. Studio Proslav says:

China Trash …

36. finophile says:

love your work. Great presentation , one of the most succinct I've seen. I also love the use of fully analog diagrams (with a pen) to more effectively focus the student on the equations.
    Bravo

37. brettwatty101 says:

Great info very helpful. Thanks

38. Todd Anonymous says:

Scott. Your brilliance, like the led, is illuminating !

39. Szakembőr TV TMIAE says:

5:18 actually current flow backwards,from – to +

40. Erick Miranda says:

you a genius bro! thanks for your videos!