30kWh Home Solar Battery from Tesla Model S Battery Modules

30kWh Home Solar Battery from Tesla Model S Battery Modules

We show step by step how to assemble a 30 kWh Solar Home energy storage battery using six Tesla Model S Battery Modules – the right way taking full advantage of the Tesla BMS boards ON the modules to monitor voltage, temperature and perform active balancing.

The battery is enclosed in a Wiegman NEMA carbon steel enclosure.

20 Responses to 30kWh Home Solar Battery from Tesla Model S Battery Modules

1. Samual Whittemore says:

So where are the horses, cattle, and cow dogs?

2. ANTHONY CABALLERO says:

Hi, can you give me complete parts list… thanks

3. marthale7 says:

Thank you for the information about destroying cells at 32 deg. I bought one of these modules and I have been using it for 5 months and I love it. Now I am working to build / buy a BMS for the system. I am debating between using the built in BMS / getting an off the shelf BMS. Being able to use the onboard BMS sounds exactly what I want to do, I have used ardruino with my CNC machine. I will compare the cost of this setup verses buying one off the shelf. Take care my friend you have a wealth of information.

4. Altha Dotty says:

I have been in the renewable energy field for some time now and have used many products for instructional purposes, but this [link here >>>https://t.co/WqSHhReOxS ] is the best. It has all the material needed to get people here in the IBEW up and running for the installation and design of solar systems

5. reikhard79 says:

Awesome stuff Jack! Great show!

6. ShowMeQuick says:

That starting intro I was expecting something like Warner Brothers or some of the major movie productions lol.. I kind felt I was about to watch a movie 😉 good stuff by the way

7. james88 says:

A Lavalier microphone would do wonders for the Sound

8. Steven Hill says:

Great videos and you're easily the coolest Youtuber. Please post more often.

9. 156second says:

Just curious why you would put a fuse on the negative terminal. As shown in the video he fuse would clear a overload or short but the circuit on the line side of the fuse would remain at line voltage. Where as if it was at the plus terminal the same overload and short circuit protection is there but also the circuit on the load side of the fuse is at zero potential.

10. Mark Osborne says:

Kitty talking @ 4:21 4:23

11. Harry Jones says:

Jack

I appreciate your videos as I am looking into the feasibility of converting a 26' cabin cruiser from gas to electric utilizing Tesla components. As I watch your videos I see that you can supply a wealth of knowledge, information and components that I would require to undertake such a project. Maybe I missed something but I have not been able to trackdown in your videos if you have developed a harness for utilizing the tesla battery modules in series (400V config). I saw the conversion of your cadillac truck and the VW vehicle but I do not recall seeing anything specific beyond discussions about final battery placement or the evtv harnesses for those vehicles. I am also uncertain as what charging hardware will be applied to those vehicles – are you going to use the tesla chargers (like Tesla Model S (2012-2015) OEM GEN 2 Sealed Charger Part# 1014963-00-G) or something else ?

12. Tyler Hardy says:

This is awesome. I've been wanting to buy some Tesla modules and do something like this myself.

13. Du Fung says:

I like it 🙂 That's funny you're using a Schneider inverter, that's whom I was looking to use, they have a solid trackrecord and a great variety of product ranges.
    I'll probly set the HiVolt at 4.25v. I like how you put in the sensitivity anomalous event conveyance, nice touch.
    I'll probly loginterval like 15 minutes(runaways take time).
    Think you could do me up for $9,510? I figured 9,000 wouldn't be feasible for the assembly required, mine as well aim for my lucky number as a counteroffer(know it'll get a very good resting place and sustain my modern way of life).
    Did you get zapped at 58:17 or just poked?
    Appreciate your vision for safe lithium implementation at a fair price just keep at it 😀
    I feel you're a lot like me Jack first you have an idea, then you iron it out, seeking points of failure to eliminate, Nikola Tesla would be proud.

14. G. K. Allen says:

Are the layers of packs spaced between or just one on top of another?

15. rtz549 says:

Excellent show Jack.

16. Just for Fun says:

Amazing! (please take care of your health too!)

17. Aaron Aaron says:

Glad to see some competition in this area. Keep up the good work. This will only get better with more Model 3 packs coming to market.

18. highflow highflow says:

you maybe can try speak some more regulair english, have hard times to follow any, we dont see the details under the covers in that case? video could be lot shorter too

19. Greg Jaskiewicz says:

put software on GitHub maybe ?

20. MrJazsa80 says:

Will there be any issues with heat rising and affecting the top cells?